Monday, February 14, 2011

Eldar Trickery.



Fritz from Way of Saim-hann has used these words many times in his Youtube bat reps, Eldar Trickery. In truth I don't think there is any more accurate way to describe the very spirit of the play style of Eldar than those words. At the very core of our army is based the common notion of bending or out right ignoring some of the fundamental rules of the game. This was much more prevalent in the 3rd ed days when our tanks could move shoot during their move and then finish their move. While some of those curse word inducing silliness is gone there is some of it that remains.

While Fluff does not reflect rules I think the essense of an ancient and enigmatic race is represented well in the regards that we can do things that few if any others can. While I do have my criticisms about our current Codex all in all I am enjoying pulling shenanigans upon my opponents. I know what your thinking. "Elthrai, your just telling us, great and powerful almighty shenanigan wielding Eldar players things we already know." or in the case non eldar players. "Durrrrrrrrr pointy ear fairies durrr... I like power armor durr." ;)

But I ask you, what does Eldar Trickery truely mean? I have defined it above as what it means in a sense to the army and somewhat to the game in the regards to rules.  But in truth it goes beyond that, beyond the codex, and the rulebook, to the players themselves. While I strongly do not advocate any kind of psychological warfare upon your opponent to gain advantage in a game with little plastic men and fickle d6. An effect still occurs, The Eldar Army as far as I have seen has been the one most people cock their heads to the side and ponder what crazy tricks is going to be pulled out of its hat. The reason being is the Eldar follow closely enough to the standard formula and rules that people get a base sense of what will happen yet that complete uncertainty of the 'trick' that is coming. While the game and rules are based around two armies battling each other when you boil it right down it is two players playing against each other and that uncertainty can affect the actions and tactics of said player. Does this give you an advantage? *Shrug* Maybe.

What ever affect it does have the one I enjoy the most is being able to completely say something off the wall about some upgrade or combo I have worked up with my Eldar. For example I told Stevo once that my seer council had purchased all Ctan weapons as upgrades. Stevo cocked his head to the side and said "No way." but his eyes narrowed and his tone spoke more of his thoughts of ... Seriously... While such things are completely absurd the effect of Eldar Trickery is strong enough to give them a moments pause and wonder if it is just another trick in our hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment